- All meals are cooked from scratch in our kitchen with fresh ingredients
- Vertas, our new school meals provider, starts at Darlinghurst on July 3rd read the new menu
- The current cost of school lunches is £2.20 per child
- Read the menu
- Payment should be made in advance via ParentPay
Free School Meals
All children in Reception and Years 1 and 2 are entitled to free school meals.
For children in Key Stage 2 (Year 3 - Year 6) to qualify for free school meals, parents/carers must satisfy the eligibility criteria and provide a copy of currently-dated evidence as shown below:
- Receive Income Support
- Receive Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Receive Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Receive support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Receive the Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Receive Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income (as assessed by HM Revenue & Customs) that does not exceed £16,190
- Receive Working Tax Credit during the four-week period immediately after their employment finishes or after they start to work less than 16 hours per week
Please note that children who receive Income Support in their own name also qualify.
If you are applying for free school meals for the first time, please use the online application process at www.southend.gov.uk/fsm if you are able. For free school meal renewals, please complete a "Registration for Free School Meals and Pupil Premium" form (see Downloads to the right).
Additional information about our school meals
Occasionally, it may be necessary to change menu items. This is sometimes due to severe weather problems or product availability, but rest assured, we do not compromise on ingredient quality.
- We aim to use around 90% fresh ingredients when compiling our menus
- Our menus have compliance with nutritional standards
- We cook and serve approximately 200 school meals each day enjoyed by both the children & staff
- Meat is farm assured, Red Tractor Standard
- Fish served is from sustainable sources
- Eggs are free range
- No GM ingredients & no undesirable additives or hydrogenated fats are included
- Menus are seasonal and include seasonal local produce, click here to view our new Vertas menu
We encourage children to bring healthy packed lunches into school. Packed lunches should not contain glass bottles, cans of fizzy drinks or sweets. We also ask that foods containing nuts are not brought to school in order to safeguard children with serious nut allergies. Packed lunches should be brought in a suitable lunchbox clearly marked with the child's name and class.