Background to the Pupil Premium
Introduced in April 2011, the Pupil Premium is a Government initiative that provides additional funding aimed at students from deprived backgrounds. Research shows that students from deprived backgrounds underachieve compared to their non-deprived peers. The Pupil Premium is provided in order to support these students in reaching their potential by accelerating their progress. The Government has used students entitled to Free School Meals and those who are looked after as an indicator for deprivation. They have given a fixed amount of money to schools per student, based on the number of students registered for Free School Meals and who are looked after by the local authority. A premium has also been introduced for children whose parents are currently serving in the armed forces. This service premium is designed to address the emotional and social well-being of these students.
How we will ensure effective use of the Pupil Premium
- The Pupil Premium will be clearly identifiable within the budget.
- The Principal, in consultation with the Governors and staff, will decide how the Pupil Premium is spent for the benefit of the entitled students. Funding will be allocated following a needs analysis which will identify priority groups or individuals.
- In making provision for socially disadvantaged students, we recognise that not all students who receive free school meals will be socially disadvantaged or underachieving.
- The school will assess what additional provision should be made for the individual students.
- The school will be accountable for how it has used the additional funding to support the achievement of those students covered by the Pupil Premium.
- The Principal will report to the Governing Body and parents on how effective the intervention has been in achieving its aims, including publishing online information about how the Premium has been used.
- The school will track the impact of the strategies put into place through the funding to ensure that we can show the value that has been added to the education of the entitled children.
- The school will monitor, evaluate and review the success of the impact of the Pupil Premium Funding.
For further information about Pupil Premium & Free School Meals download our leaflet
For further information regarding Pupil Premium Grants, click below